7.21.2008

My History of Saturday Night Live


I, currently, have five different designs based on Saturday Night Live available at: www.cafepress.com/skeetzteez. I, probably, have another half dozen or so in research or development that I just haven't had time to complete. There is just so much material available to work with (and so much history with the show) that it really hard to narrow down what I want to do.

I quick search on cafepress for SNL will find a ton of stuff. Mostly the more popular skits like "More Cowbell" and all of the overdone catch phrases from the past few years. The show is so creative and has featured such talented people over the years that I think much of the better material is forgotten.

I was nine years old when the show debuted on Saturday, October 11, 1975 and really too young to watch. Fortunately, our babysitter at the time didn't care. As long as we ran to bed and acted like we were asleep when my parents came home, he let us stay up. 

I remember acting out the skits the next day with my brother and sister, totally oblivious to the real meaning behind the jokes. In the early years of the show there were a lot of references to drugs and sex and at nine I didn't have a clue.

As I got older, I did start to understand and, for the most part, I could relate to what the show was saying. I still acted out the skits, through my High School years. After I turned 21 and was, usually, not home to watch on Saturday Nights, we would record the show and have marathons viewings on a night we had nothing to do.

The show has gone through many changes over the years and there are, definitely, some periods that have been better than others, but overall there is not a more creative presence on the air, especially for the longevity of SNL.

One of the best parts of the show are the parody commercials or mockommercials that are usually featured after the first skit after the monologue. Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive list of these at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saturday_Night_Live_commercials and you can purchase SNL T-shirts and other unique custom gifts at: www.cafepress.com/skeetzteez/5663053

No comments: