8.19.2008

Can't Keep Up!


I was going to write about the Olympics and all of the ridiculous spin that accompanies them, but I decided to wait, at this point, until they are mercifully over. Instead I want to write about some of the designs I am working on for the SkeetzTeez cafepress shop at: http://www.cafepress.com/skeetzteez.

Although sales don't reflect it, the shop is getting some decent exposure. I am getting hits from Squidoo, Twitter and even this blog. I have also seen some traffic directed from Google and affiliate shops, however all of my sales have come by way of the Marketplace. That's OK. As my exposure grows so will traffic and sales. Some shopkeepers claim that they get no action at all for months after opening.

As the word gets out about my designs I have gotten quite a few requests, recommendations and suggestions for T-shirts ideas from friends and family and friends and family of friends and family. I think I have mentioned some of these ideas in my previous posts. 

My wife and her cousin are both pregnant. They were both peppering me with ideas for maternity and baby stuff on Saturday. Matt at work specializes in the "That's what she said" stuff. I have done a few of those designs but not even half of what we have come up with.
Various other people have given me ideas too, including the mother of a friend of lady that works on our warehouse.

I am having a hard time keeping up with the demand even though even when I do get the product up very few people are buying them. Mav's ideas, however, have been completed and posted very quickly.

Maverick, or Mav for short is one of the funniest guys I know. He's got a really quick wit that has me cracking up whenever he is around, even though he is usually kicking my butt at fantasy football. He posts his ideas on our league's message board. They are usually simple, yet hilarious, so I knock them out and put them up. It's a shame that I will probably go to hell for doing so.

Funny story about Mav. I was living in a townhouse with two other guys when I met Mav. We had a terrible habit of laying around, drinking beer and wasting our Saturdays in that place. He came over with his future brother in law, Schwa. Schwa's real name is Steve but so is Dupee, Stupo and in addition to all the Steves we have three Scotts that hang with the group. So we all use these nicknames all of the time. I mean, I didn't know Dupee's real name until four years after I met him.

Well– this has got to look pretty stupid to a newcomer so Mav asked, "What's up with the code names? What is this Top Gun?" I replied with, "Yes it is... and now you will be called Maverick!"

He's been known by that for the ten or so years since.

He did come up with some pretty funny concepts for T-shirts though. Check them out: http://www.cafepress.com/skeetzteez/5889001 and
http://www.cafepress.com/skeetzteez/5792428

No comments: