8.11.2008

Smart Religion


I take offense to the stereotype that bible belt Christians are, somehow, not as bright as your average American. 

I was raised Catholic in a city that, when you meet someone new, you don't ask where they live, you ask what parish they are from. I converted to a non-denominational Christian church when I met my wife– not only because I met my wife, but I did my research and I agreed with the belief structure: It's not about Religion– Its about Relationship. And besides, the Christian services were a lot more interesting than the old Catholic mass. I am not arguing a point (here and now) that one religion is any better than another or the right or wrong of any beliefs. I am, merely, stating my preference.

To get back to my original point, though, I don't like the way traditional Christians are thought of as unintelligent. I guess there is a certain amount of blind faith that is involved with believing everything the Bible teaches us, but really not more than any other religion.

I consider myself pretty darn smart, even though I (usually) don't go around bragging about it (or necessarily act like it). Most people that know me well, I think, would tell you the same. I can hold my own in a conversation on just about any topic because, for one, I have learned that "if you don't know what you are talking about, don't say anything" and I just try be well informed on things. This policy works well for me most of the time... except for when the topic turns to religion.

Most of my personal, religious principles that have been questioned in the past can be explained with two basic theories:

1) I find it easier to believe that a loving God created this world and put man (and woman) on it to inhabit the world and love him back than the idea that a great accident caused non-living moleculer material became living matter and evolved into what we have become, over any period of time, or some alien race put us here and left us as an experiment or pet project or something.

2) For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I guess the second one takes a little more of that "blind faith" than some people are willing to let themselves believe, but if you can't bring yourself to do that your not going to get the rest of it anyway. 

I wish there was a more scientific way to explain all of this. As an intelligent person who wants to find the reasons behind things, that would make being a good Christian and spreading the good word much easier for me. However, just because I am going to believe these things without proof doesn't make me an idiot. I would rather be right about this and wrong about everything else in the world than be the smartest man in the world and not be remembered as a believer on Judgement Day.

Spread the Word... Text the Word.
http://www.cafepress.com/skeetzteez/5800722

No comments: